Breast cancer affects your whole family as much as you.
1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. That means 1 in 8 families will be affected by breast cancer. Remember, early detection is the key to successful treatment, so get checked now. A simple exam could save your life.
Support the cause and join the walkathon with Fatima Clinc. For more information, please call 25641234
Facts about breast cancer
- One out of 8 women will get breast cancer in their life time.
- 88% of breast lumps are benign.
- Mammogram shows masses before feeling it by hand.
- Mammogram is advised for women over 40 years of age.
- Breast pain usually is cyclical and hormonal bases.
- Breast cysts are usually benign and rarely develop into cancer.
- Deodorant doesn’t cause breast cancer.
- Wearing the proper bra size prevent breast cancer and shoulder pain. Underwired bra doesn't cause breast cancer
- Early detection of breast masses increase the chance of conservative breast surgery.
- Mastectomy for breast cancer can be followed by plastic reconstruction surgery.
- Smoking increase the chance of chronic breast infection.
- Being woman is a risk factor of getting breast cancer.
- 0.6% of men will get breast cancer.
- Aging is a risk factor of getting breast cancer.
- Keeping the right weight and balanced healthy diet decrease your chance of getting breast cancer.
- Clinical breast examination for women under 40 years of age is recommended or encouraged.
- Know what is normal for you, Report any abnormal changes to your doctor.
- 90% of breast calcification is benign (not cancer).
- Self breast examination preferred in the second week of cycle.
- Breast size difference is normal, any noted increase in size is abnormal.
- Nipple changes of retraction, eczema, or bloody discharge is abnormal.
- Swelling of gland in the axilla, around clavicle is abnormal.
- Ultrasound exam is complementary after mammogram in some cares.
- Breast biopsy is ultimate diagnostic test for some masses.
- Acne and freckles in breast skin common in teenagers.
- Proper hygiene of the nipple during lactation prevent infection and abscess formation.
- Reduction mammoplasty or augmentation surgery doesn’t cause breast cancer.
- Hormone replacement therapy increase the risk of getting breast cancer.
- Let your young girls be breast health aware.
- Pink ribbon is our logo to hope and optimism.
For more information, visit www.Breastcarekuwait.org.